Saturday Evening, October 7, 2017 (Xaris will NOT be meeting on Sept 23 or Sept 30)
@ 4 pm - discussion topic: Listening - the art and purpose.
“We do not believe in ourselves until someone reveals that deep inside us something is valuable, worth listening to, worthy of our trust, sacred to our touch. Once we believe in ourselves we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight or any experience that reveals the human spirit.”
– E. E. Cummings (American poet 1894-1962)
@ 5 pm - we will continue our verse x verse study of the Gospel According to John beginning with: Jn 5:33.
1. Why is the 'testimony of man' important (Jn 5:33-35)?
2. In what way(s) does the 'testimony of man' lead us to value the testimony of the Spirit (Jn 5:34,36; 46,47)?
3. What is the difference between believing in God's word and having the word of God 'abide' in us (Jn 5:37,38)?
4. Is it possible to be a diligent student of scripture, yet not love God (Jn 5:39-42)?
5. In which of Fowler's stages of faith are those who search the scriptures to 'fit' into their religious community (Jn 5:43-45)?
Can't make it on Saturday evening? Connect with 'Uncorked' at JJ's Wine Bar. We meet there most Tuesday evenings from 5:30 - 6:30 pm. This is fellowship time. There isn't an agenda - except getting to know one another a little better, encouraging one another, etc. Purchasing a glass of wine is optional. Beer, soda, coffee, and various food items also available.